To declare a major, you must request a Declaration of Major form from either the One Stop Office or the English Department Office (Klapper Hall, Room 607). This form requires a departmental signature, which you may obtain from any full-time member of the department. You must then return the form to One Stop. You will, in addition, be given an advisement form, which lists the requirements of the major. A major should be declared immediately.
Additional guidance in choosing courses within the major and supplementing the major can be provided by Faculty advisors. If you have not spoken to any other advisor, you can contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies or the Associate Chair.
Requirements for the Major in English (Major code is ENGL-BA.)
After fulfilling the college’s EC1 requirement (ENGL 110), prospective English majors must take ENGL 130 (EC2). You must have completed English 110 before beginning the major, but 110 does not count toward the major.
For students who declared their English major Summer/Fall 2014 or later
After completing EC1 and EC2, all English majors must take at least 13 courses, of which 6 are required, for a total of 46 credits. Transfer students must take a minimum of 18 elective credits in the major at Queens College. To meet the requirements for graduation as an English major, a student must maintain an average of 2.0 in the required and elective work in English and complete the course sequence noted below on this page.
1. Critical Reading and Writing (2 courses, 6 credits):
• ENGL 130: Writing About Literature in English (3 credits)
• ENGL 170W: Introduction to Literary Studies (3 credits)
2. Literary Research Methods (4 courses, 16 credits):
• ENGL 241: The Text In Its Historical Moment (4 credits)
• ENGL 242: Literary History (4 credits)
• ENGL 243: Genre (4 credits)
• ENGL 244: Theory (4 credits)
3. Senior Seminar (3 credits):
Senior status or consent of the Department is required
• ENGL 391W Topics in Literature (3 credits)
4. Electives (7 courses, 21 credits):
Seven (7) additional English courses at the 200 or 300 level. These courses must include:
At least one (1) course in British literature before 1800: ENGL 251, 311, 312, 313, 320, 321, 322, 331, 332, 333, 334, 340, 341, 344
At least one (1) course in American literature before 1900: ENGL 253, 348, 349, 350, 351, 354
At least one (1) course in global, ethnic, or post-colonial literature: ENGL 255, 348, 354, 355, 356, 360, 363, 364, 366, 367, 368, 369, 377, 378, 379
Such courses may be general or focused on a single author or group of authors.
Of the seven (7) electives, at most three (3) creative writing courses may be applied to the major.
The remaining four (4) electives must be literature courses in the English Department.
For students who declared their English major before Summer 2014
After completing EC1 and EC2, all English majors must take at least 13 courses, of which 7 are required, for a total of 39 credits. Transfer students must take a minimum of 18 elective credits in the major at Queens College. To meet the requirements for graduation as an English major, a student must maintain an average of 2.0 in the required and elective work in English and complete the course sequence noted in the box on this page.
1. Required Courses (7 courses, 21 credits):
- Critical Reading and Writing (1 course, 3 credits): ENGL 170W
- Literary History (5 courses, 15 credits): ENGL 251, 252, 253, 254, and 255
- Senior Seminar (1 course, 3 credits): ENGL 391W
2. Electives (6 courses, 18 credits): To complete their majors, students will select 6 courses from the other offerings of the English Department at the 200 or 300 level.