Thank you for your interest in the English MA program. If you have any questions about the admissions requirements or application process, please email the Directors of Graduate Studies at MAEnglish@qc.cuny.edu.
Requirements for Matriculation in the MA Program
Applications must be submitted online through the Office of Graduate Admissions. The GRE is not required.
- A minimum of an average grade of B in all undergraduate work and in all literature courses.
- A minimum of 24 undergraduate credits in a field of literary study; at the discretion of the department, fewer courses may be acceptable for full matriculation.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from instructors in English or a related field of study, addressing your academic proficiency.
- A 500-word statement of interest explaining why you wish to pursue a master’s degree in English at Queens College.
- A writing sample, 10-15 pages in length (double-spaced), showing an understanding of higher-level literary study and mastery of writing skills.
Please email your writing sample to
Students who wish to register for graduate English courses without enrolling in the MA degree program may apply as non-matriculated students. Non-matriculated applications must be submitted online through the Office of Graduate Admissions. The admissions requirements for non-matriculated students are:
- A minimum of an average grade of B in all undergraduate work and in all English courses.
- A minimum of 24 undergraduate credits in English or American literature; at the discretion of the department, fewer courses may be acceptable for non-matriculated status.
The MA Director may also request that applicants submit a short writing sample.
Non-matriculated students are eligible to take up to 4 graduate English courses (12 credits). These credits may be transferred and counted toward the MA or MS.Ed in English, at the discretion of the Director of Graduate Studies.