Thank you for your interest in the MA English program. If you have further questions about the application process, or if you’d like to schedule a visit to the English Department to meet members of our faculty or attend a graduate seminar, please contact the Assistant MA Director, email@example.com.
Requirements for Matriculation in the MA Program
Applications must be submitted online through the Office of Graduate Admissions. The GRE is not required.
- A minimum of an average grade of B in all undergraduate work and in all literature courses.
- A minimum of 24 undergraduate credits in a field of literary study; at the discretion of the department, fewer courses may be acceptable for full matriculation.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from instructors in English or a related field of study, addressing your academic proficiency.
- A 500-word statement of interest explaining why you wish to pursue a master’s degree in English at Queens College.
- A writing sample, 10-15 pages in length (double-spaced), showing an understanding of higher-level literary study and mastery of writing skills.
Please send your writing sample via email to:
Caroline Hong, Director of Graduate Studies
Students who wish to register for graduate English courses without enrolling in the MA degree program may apply as non-matriculated students. Non-matriculated applications must be submitted online through the Office of Graduate Admissions. The admissions requirements for non-matriculated students are:
- A minimum of an average grade of B in all undergraduate work and in all English courses.
- A minimum of 24 undergraduate credits in English or American literature; at the discretion of the department, fewer courses may be acceptable for non-matriculated status.
The MA Director may also request that applicants submit a short writing sample.
Non-matriculated students are eligible to take up to 4 graduate English courses (12 credits). These credits may be transferred and counted toward the MA or MS.Ed in English, at the discretion of the Director of Graduate Studies.